Executive Director of Financial Planning
To plan and manage the business affairs of the school system in compliance with instructions of the CFO, pertinent laws, state regulations, and Board policies and supervises the Director of Finance, Director of Procurement and Benefits Administrator.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes a system of control for budget execution; directs and supervises all financial accounting in the School District.
- Assists and cooperates with outside auditing agencies in the conduct of approved audits or review of the district’s fiscal records.
- Translates the educational needs of the district as expressed in periodic meetings into composite short- and long-term financial plans.
- Assists in the preparation of the annual district budget, reviews it with the Administration and presents it for approval and adoption by the Board of Directors.
- Prepares cost analysis reports concerning the operation of the school district.
- Reviews the effect of the educational program on the financial structure of the community and advises the CFO in maintaining a proper balance between the two.
- Is familiar with all sources of revenues for school purposes and explores new sources. Responsible for obtaining all monies to which the Board of Education is entitled. Collaborates with all concerned in securing the funds necessary to operate the educational program.
- Works with attorneys and financial advisors to effect suitable financing.
- Prepares documents as required for processing and bond offerings.
- Oversees the distribution of payments for construction in progress.
- Provides the Superintendent and other staff members, as well as the Board, with facts and information that help them in their relations with the public.
- Interprets the business area of educational programs to the educational staff and public as needed.
- Communicates with the school solicitor on legal matters as needed.
- Presents budget related informational sessions to various community groups as needed
- Assists the CFO and Director of Human Resources in preparing for negotiations as needed.
- Oversees, directs, and supervises the Business Office staff.
- Maintains adequate records for all School District employees regarding salary, retirement, social security, withholding taxes, wage taxes, insurance and the like and completes related reports.
Oversees the administration of the Employee Benefits Office. Supervises and evaluates the Employee Benefits Supervisor.
- Supervises and evaluates the Director of Finance.
- Supervises and evaluates the Director of Procurement.
- Oversees the administration of the district’s tax-sheltered annuity program for employees.
- Assists in the organization and execution of in-service training programs aimed at increasing the skills of school business management.
· In conjunction with the Business Office staff, oversees the preparation and certification of the accuracy of monthly and annual financial reports required by the superintendent, Board of Education, State Department of Education and other agencies of government.
· Establishes the accounting systems necessary to provide school officials and administrators with accurate financial facts as the basis for formulating policies and decisions.
· Oversees the tax collection systems utilized by the district.
· Invests the funds of the district on a day-to-day basis to ensure effective cash flow and in a manner that provides maximized returns at minimized risk levels.
· Assists in the evaluation of computer hardware and systems for handling Business Office reporting requirements of the district.
· Maintains adequate general liability and property casualty coverage for the district and personnel, as required.
· Administers the student accident insurance coverage and policy information.
· Submits information for inclusion in agendas for board meetings.
· Attends regular, committee, and executive sessions of the Board to advise on matters relating to school district finances and business office functions.
· Develops and implements policy in the area of school business management, generally accepted accounting practices and related activities.
· Coordinates activities with the Board solicitor including contracts, retainers, and the processing of bills.
· Other duties as assigned by the Superintendent and/or Chief Financial Officer.