Director of Student Transportation
The Director of Student Transportation is responsible for the transportation of all students in the Allentown School District to public and private schools, according to legal requirements. He/she is a line office of the district reporting to the Chief Financial Officer. He/she represents the Board and the Administration in District community activities pertaining to student transportation functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates a transportation program to meet all local, state, and federal laws and regulations and the daily instructional program and extra-curricular activities.
- Prepares bus routes for all public, non-public, private, homeless, early intervention, and special education schools servicing school district students.
- Prepares and updates bus schedules for all public, non-public, private, homeless, early intervention, and special education schools servicing the school district in order for all pupils to be transported in the most efficient and effective manner possible.
- Works with contractor to ensure any legally required background clearances and related reports have been secured and properly processed.
- Works with contractor to ensure that schedules are carried out properly.
- Keeps an accurate count of pupils using the transportation program. Maintains records necessary to prepare all state reports as required by PDE.
- Assists in establishing uniform personnel policies for transportation employees.
- Communicates with bus drivers, contractors and school principals regarding transportation changes and assists the central administration in matters dealing with school delays and closings.
- Supervises the planning for special school trips with school principals and other district personnel.
- Communicates with and assists the principals and bus drivers related to discipline programs occurring on school buses and solutions.
- Develops recommendations for future transportation needs based on an annual survey of resident students.
- Establishes and maintains a good rapport with students, teaching staff, and the community. Acts as liaison with parents for complaints and special requests.
- Ensures that all district drivers and vehicles comply with federal, state laws and regulations established by the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation regarding pupil transportation.
- Manages all aspects of department budget.
- Provides or coordinates with bus contractors to provide bus safety training sessions for students and parents.
- Attends appropriate committee and staff meetings as well as conferences to update safety standards and provide a more effective means of pupil transportation.
- Provides central administration with contractor evaluations and suggestions for transportation contract revisions.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Financial Officer.
Director of Student Transportation
||Allentown School District
|Posting Start Date:
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience in student transportation, or alternate qualifications as approved by the Board of School Directors.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license, to include a CDL, and have a clean driving record
- Knowledge of principles and methods for transportation including the relative costs and benefits
- Excellent work record & criminal/child abuse clearances (Acts 34, 114, and 151).
Note: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
||This listing expires on: 6/30/2023