To provide administrative secretarial support to the school building to ensure the smooth daily operations of the school. Serves as a point of contact for parents and students. Provides clerical support to administration, teachers and other staff as needed.
Education and Experience:
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Minimum of high school diploma or appropriate Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in education, communications, business or related field, or equivalent experience in a similar role.
- Minimum 2 years in a communications and or secretarial capacity. Understanding of public school operations and organizational structure preferred.
Communications and Public Relations:
- Establishes and maintains positive communications and working relationships with district personnel, students, parents, and the community concerning building activities, schedules and events.
- Types, duplicates, collates, files and distributes communications, forms, surveys and other information; maintains files, databases and spreadsheets as required.
- May serve as the visitor point of contact or receptionist to the office areas.
- Responsible for the safekeeping and file maintenance of confidential student and employee records.
- Contributes to the timely and accurate completion of applicable federal, state, and local reports on behalf of the building or District.
- Prepares all necessary work order requests using the electronic work order system.
- Receives, sorts, and distributes all incoming mail.
- Operates business equipment including, but not limited to, personal computer, telephone, fax machine, copier, printer, etc.
- Correctly processes, maintains and transmits applicable notices from staff for submission to the Business, Human Resources, Special Education, Curriculum and Technology offices.
- Answer phone calls and take messages as appropriate.
- Schedule appointments and maintain daily calendars.
- Handle all forms requiring Administrative signature.
- May support and maintain building Social Media accounts.
- Receives and provides accurate information to communicants, and appropriately routes all incoming telephone calls and messages.
- Promote a positive, helpful image of the school building and school district.
- Responds to requests for information; assists with requests of citizens and parent organizations.
- Updates and manages Student Information Management system (enrollment, demographic, emergency information, class schedules, etc.).
- Utilizes Employee Absence Management and Time Clock systems.
- Uses Work Order and Technology Order systems.
- May assist with audits and conduct routine banking or bookkeeping
- Schedules, supports and orients Substitute coverage.
- Monitors, supports and supervises students in the absence of a teacher or administrator.
Attendance and Absences:
- Maintains school year, quarterly and weekly events calendars (testing dates, school and community events, musical concerts/performances, class trips, duty rosters, supervision schedules, student Detention, Graduation, Awards and other ceremonies, moving up visitation, course selection, etc.).
- Supports, schedules, logs and records all Safety and Emergency Drills (Fire Drill, Evacuation Drills, Tornado Drills, Shelter In Place, etc.).\
- Assists to prepare State Testing (PSSA, Keystone) materials and schedule.
Work Quality and Quantity:
- May assist payroll in the investigation and reconciliation of work hour/attendance concerns.
- Supports and maintenance of student attendance record keeping by processing absence notes, Educational Trip requests, medical excuse notes in cooperation with the nurse, and preparing Attendance letters.
- Supports Principals and or works with the School Resource office on filing citations with the District Magistrate.
- Manages the district pick-up portal for parents
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Demonstrate willingness to assist other employees with projects, initiatives or work overflow.
- Assume initiative for improving work quality and/or work efficiency and consult with immediate supervisor concerning systemic improvements.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Principal, Assistant Principal or his/her designee.
- Familiarity with applicable district policies, state and federal laws as it relates to the education of students and student records.
- Knowledgeable of Compulsory School Attendance regulations.
- Ability to work in a high paced environment and tolerate frequent interruptions.
- Skilled in calendar management and time sensitive scheduling.
- Knowledge of budgeting procedures.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to handle adversity in an objective manner.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others.
- Executive functioning skills such as the ability to properly plan, organize, analyze, manage time, establish goals and prioritize tasks, maintain accurate records, recall information, regulate emotions and demonstrate mental flexibility by adjusting thinking or approach when presented with new information or circumstances.
- Exemplary skills in written and oral language with the ability to communicate respectfully, clearly and concisely by telephone, in person, and in written form.
- Demonstrated literacy using a variety of technology and business office software products such as Microsoft Office and Google Suite.
- Strong commitment to public education.
Certification Maintenance & Licenses
- Ability to communicate (read, write, speak) and comprehend the English language to effectively carry out functions, duties, and responsibilities.
- Ability to be at work during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, and at other times as may be required by the position.
- Ability to stand, bend, stoop, sit, lift and reach.
- Repetitive motion of the hands including both fine and gross motor dexterity to manipulate a computer keyboard and when performing routine tasks such as filing.
- Must be able to lift/carry a minimum of 20 lbs.
- Ability to independently ambulate or navigate in and around school buildings and office areas.
- Ability to travel to and from assigned work locations without employer support.
- Ability to assist in emergency situations.
- Valid PA Driver’s License for independent travel preferred.
- Normal office and school environments. Travel throughout the District and IU21 service area as well as occasional national or statewide travel as required.
||Southern Lehigh School District
||Center Valley, PA
|Posting Start Date:
||This listing expires on: 8/17/2022