Position: Communications Coordinator
Work Schedule: Salaried Position/Twelve Months Per Year
Basic Job Function: Develop and maintain a proactive, strategic and comprehensive communications program that is aligned with and supportive of the district’s mission and goals. The Communications Coordinator oversees all internal and external communications, including digital communications and social media, maintains ongoing relationships with key district stakeholders, and provides communications and public relations guidance to district leadership team.
This position holder must abide by the District Policies and Administrative Guidelines and be able to use the essential skills to perform the typical duties listed on this job description. It is the responsibility of every employee to inform their supervisor regarding need for reasonable accommodation.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead and work collaboratively as part of the Communications team.
- Collaborate with Superintendent regarding communications strategies for district initiatives.
- Serve as district liaison for Communications Committee. Work with committee chair and Superintendent to develop agendas, and schedule meetings.
- Attend Board meetings, work sessions, and all affiliated meetings; compose associated press releases and give interviews on site when requested; manage follow-up with media.
- Advise district administrative staff regarding internal and external communications.
- Utilize and manage the website and social media for communication.
- Utilize and manage the mobile application for the district.
- Update and maintain all website functions and public relation materials.
- Create video and other visual elements to use on digital platforms or when completing grant applications.
- Maintain public relations budget.
- Oversee the GASD Glows (highlighting Gettysburg’s greatest) recognition program.
- Plan parent engagement events with the Superintendent to bring awareness and resources to district families. Recruit families by using newsletters, brochures, social media, inc.
- Create and analyze surveys and conduct focus groups.
- Create in-house brochures, special events materials and other documents as requested.
- Coordinate and update district-wide communication materials and activities, including local advertising, a regular newsletter, and other feature stories via local media.
- Establish and maintain connection with local realtors; regularly update a new resident guide for distribution through realtors.
- Serve as primary district-wide media liaison; develop and maintain positive working relationships with local media representatives to enhance GASD coverage in the public media. Be available for media interviews (TV, radio, newspaper, and websites) when requested.
- Establish and maintain working relationships with community leaders, service organizations, municipal officials, other local schools and agencies.
- Serve on district committees as needed.
- Conducts and/or coordinates public opinion research and uses the research for district and communication planning.
- Publicize and promote achievements of district students, faculty, and staff, as well as programs and activities. Attend events and capture photographs/video for public distribution; collect event information and associated photos/videos from faculty, staff and students for distribution. A minimum of 50% of the work week should be spent in a district school building.
- Maintain membership in public relations associations as needed; including the Adams County Council of Governments.
- Maintain Blackboard data base for district employees.
- Coordinate school district social media accounts for staff and maintain information related to those accounts.
- Support training initiatives related to digital citizenship and social media.
- Maintain no media/publication list district-wide.
- Oversee the implementation of communications-related policies as requested by the Superintendent.
- Ensure digital accessibility (ADA) requirements are met by the district and its staff.
- Responsible for streaming all District Board meetings, Graduation, and other events as required and sharing on social media. Work with the Digital Media Teacher to provide students with a valuable experience.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for the Safe2Say program and the district’s TipLine.
- All other duties as assigned by the Superintendent.
||Gettysburg Area School District
|Posting Start Date:
||The Gettysburg Area School District is seeking a highly motivated Communications Coordinator to fill a permanent, 12-month position. The Coordinator is part of the district administrative team and is responsible for overseeing all internal and external communications. The Coordinator will ensure that all stakeholders are informed with accurate, articulate and transparent information using a wide variety of platforms and techniques including social media, various ongoing communications-related initiatives, and effective media relations. Experience with multi-media platforms (e.g. imovie), and experience in a communcations role in a public school setting, will bolster candidacy.
Qualifications for the position:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a field of public communication; Masters preferred.
- Accreditation in Public Relations (APR) preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of five years of experience in a public communications position.
- Experience in K-12 public education preferred, but not required.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills.
- Experience speaking to multi-generational, demographically diverse audiences.
- Excellent editing, speech writing, and proofreading skills.
- Knowledge of Associated Press (AP) style required.
- Social and digital media experience.
- Ability to perform well within the dynamics of a rapidly changing and diverse environment.
- Graphic design, video editing, website content, and photography experience.
||This listing expires on: 8/20/2021