Position Information Message
Interested candidates can apply directly on our applicant tracking system here
Job Summary: The Accounting/Purchasing Specialist is responsible for support of District wide purchasing for but not limited to: general fund, capital projects, fixed assets and student activities. This position accomplishes this by monitoring accounting/purchasing policies, practices and procedures as required by State law and the Board of Education policy and providing support and direction to schools and district departments in procurement matters.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as a liaison between District personnel and vendors.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external souces for the purpose of providing information, direction and/or appropriate responses to purchasing related questions.
- Prepare journal entries, perform accounting reconciliation work, and perform other preparation for monthly Board Reports as well as the annual financial audit as assigned. Prepare subsidy-related journal entries for General Fund income to be recorded on a monthly basis.
- Reviews requisitions for pricing accuracy and that necessary documentation is attached prior to processing requisitions and issuing purchase orders; in accordance with district policies and procedures.
- Research vendor options and secure optimal pricing and quality for products and services.
- Reviews and enters New Vendor Requests.
- Establishes store accounts, as needed, and provides reports to district administration regading purchasing activity for appropriate use of the store accounts to be in accordance with the District’s Purchasing Policies and Procedures.
- Confer with school staff and administrative personnel to determine purchasing needs and specifications.
- Work with the District Administration to establish purchasing time tables, procedures and forms.
- Ensure that all purchases are in compliance with PA School Code.
- Disseminate information to suppliers and district staff concerning district’s purchasing policies and procedures. This includes making updates to the HSD Purchasing Manaul, when requested by District Admin.
- Provide customer service assistance, written procedures and training to office staff for automated purchasing and procurement processes. Recommend enhancements to system as appropriate.
- Assist the Accounts Payable Specialist as needed during high volume periods or during absences. Must be familiar with all aspects of his/her duties such as processing invoices for payment, attaching purchase orders to invoices, verifying account codes, coding and entering all expenditures into computer, etc. Review all Account Payable batches and approve for posting.
- Work with District Administration to administer and coordinate District bids and requests for proposals.
- Review and prepare monthly summary of contracts and necessary documents that require Board approval and distribute and maintain them accordingly.
- Responsible for monitoring joint purchasing arrangements and contracts.
- Assist with the annual year-end closing processes.
- Assist with the implementation of a procurement card program.
- Responsible for maintaining the district inventory (select school supplies), and ensure appropriate receiving and shipping procedures are in place and monitored.
- Perform other duties as assigned
||Hempfield School District
|Posting Start Date:
||Three (3) to Five (5) years’ experience in business office environment, preferably in public education
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required, CPA certification preferred; ability to work independently essential
Must possess accounting and general business knowledge.
Submission of pre-employment medical examination (Section 148 of the PA School Code)
Submission of the following clearances: PA State Criminal History Record (Act 34), PA Dept. of Public Welfare Child Abuse History Clearance (Act 151), Federal (FBI) Background Check (Act 114)
Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable
||This listing expires on: 8/20/2021