Chief of Staff
POSITION: Chief of Staff
REPORTS TO: Superintendent of Schools
Family Liason, Board Relations, Principals, Government Relations/Policy, Program, Evaluatiom & External Affairs, Public Relations, Safety & Security, Institutional Advancement & Organizational Strategy.
The Chief of Staff will be a results-driven self-starter who plays a key role in Chester Upland School Districts present and future success in order to drive improved student outcomes.
The Chester Upland School District is committed to providing all students the opportunity to achieve excellence in the four A's: Academics, Athletics, Arts, and Activities.
The Chester Upland School Dsitrict Administration continues to build a talented and committed team to ensure all students are prepared to graduate from Chester Upland schools career and college ready! The C.O.R.E.
is the foundation of the Chester Upland School District’s vision and mission.
Children First: The well being and continuous learning of every child will drive decisions.
One Chester Upland: With dedicated community of partners, parents, students and staff, we will excel, united as One Chester Upland.
Reimagining: Through a mode of continuous improvement, we will apply four important levers for change, collaboration, capacity building, deepening knowledge of pedagogy, and focusing direction to improve outcomes for all.
Equity, Excellence, and Emotional Intelligence: We will ensure equitable access to a quality education that includes emotional intelligence and leads to excellence across all opportunities and services.
RESPONSIBILITES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- The Chief of Staff will assist the Superintendent in the day-today management and operations of the Chester Upland School District. She/he will manage special projects and lead key initiatives, including resolving complex issues that require executive leadership and direction. The Chief of Staff will support the deliverables of the Superintendent’s Cabinet and serve as a key planner, advisor, decision-maker, and problem solver for the Superintendent. She/he will ensure the issues needing the Superintendent’s attention are addressed in a timely way.
The Chief of Staff will have laser focus on accelerating equity and organizational excellence by achivement of overarching priorities of the Chester Upland School District:
- Operational Effectiveness: Ensure that resources and initiatives minimize, eliminate redundancies and intensify focus on priorities supporting excellent teaching and learning.
- Teaching and Learning: Guarantee that students are provided rigorous instruction and the skills, knowledge, and social-emotional support they need to succeed and thrive in and beyond school.
- Family & Community Engagment: Co-create trusting partnership that recogizes the promoted family’s and community’s contributions to student learning.
- Systemic Accountability: Data-driven continuous improvement processes and practices with clear metrics and performance indicators that report on progress towards improved operational effectiveness, teachning and learning, and student outcomes.
The Chief of Staff’s responsibilities will nclude, but not be limited to the following:
- Organizes the Superintendent’s Cabinet to ensure Human Capital and operational efficiencies.
- Works with school leaders to closely monitor school improvements through a cycle of continuous improvement and sound management practices.
- Creates a culture of engagement and expectations with Principals and other administrators during all professional learning activities.
- Ensures that the Superintendent’s Office has a process for fostering family and community involvement.
- Provides partnership with Universities/Colleges for recruitment activities to attract diverse candidates and build a robust applicant pool of Teachers, Principals, and Support Staff who will improve student achievement.
- Provides leadership and support to the Superintendent’s direct reports to ensure that the District’s strategic goals and objectives are met.
- Develops and builds a high-performing team focused on supporting the work of school leaders and their leadership team.
- Master’s or advanced degree in Education or related fields. Doctorate preffered.
- Minimum of eight years of experience managing within a complex educational organization.
- Experience teaching urban youth and/or coaching, teaching, and mentoring educators (strongly prefered).
- Demonstrated track record of success in:
- Leading strategic educational initiatives;
- Coalition and relationship building across a diverse group of stakeholders;
- Leading significant cross-functional initiatives in diverse and complex organization settings; and
- Thriving in an achievement-oriented and fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently, excellent time management skills, and the ability to prioritize competing demands
- Demonstrated ability to work as a team player.
- Superior communication skills; oral and written.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Must be able to maintain a flexible work schedule.
- Dictation skills desirable (i.e. speed writing, shorthand, recorder, ect.).
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office, Windows, PowerPoint, and the Internet/Intranet.
Certification as an Administrator.
SALARY AND TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
12-Month work year. Commensurate with experience.
The information in this job description is for compliance with the Chester Upland School District Board Policy and the Americans with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.). It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities and qualifications for the position. The incumbent may perform or be assigned other duties.
- Receipt of a completed application, resume and cover letter.
- A minimum of three current written letters of reference from previous or current directors, principal, and supervisors.
- Personal interview(s).