Director, Garage Operations
To be considered for this role, please apply by using this link: https://ats4.atenterprise.powerschool.com/ats/job_board_form?op=view&JOB_ID=4600211789&REPRESENTATIVE_COMPANY_ID=00002581&COMPANY_ID=00002581
The Division of Transportation Services' mission is to provide safe and reliable transportation services to all eligible students in a fiscally responsible manner. The Division provides bus, van, and cab services to over 100,000 students enrolled in public, charter, and non-public schools. The District seeks leaders who have a passion for working with schools, principals and communities who are committed to ensuring all students achieve. Serving a population as diverse as ours requires creativity, commitment and vision. Will you join us?
The School District's garage locations are responsible for dispatching school buses, responding to questions regarding operational issues, fleet maintenance, driver training, and the District-wide mail delivery system. Garage Operations includes three school bus garages that manage more than 300 school bus routes and one automotive services location.
This is supervisory and administrative work overseeing the daily operations at the School District of Philadelphia's four Transportation garages. Administers the resources and manpower required to provide safe, efficient and economical transportation for all pupils entitled to transportation to and from school and to other educational activities within a designated area. The employee is also responsible for the daily monitoring, upkeep, and evaluation of the District's yellow bus and non-bus fleet.
Work involves direct supervision over the activities of operating supervisors at various locations throughout the city to insure uniformity and consistency of service. The Director will assure that operational activities are in compliance with current federal, state and School District of Philadelphia policies.
- Develops, plans, and directs through operating supervisors, personnel providing transportation services on a city wide basis.
- Ensures that departmental priorities, such as adherence to safety protocols, on-time performance and customer service are properly addressed.
- Constructs driver's schedules and maintains files for routes, drivers and buses; reviews and completes paperwork such as payroll, overtime, vehicle inspection, and accident reports.
- Assists the General Manager of Transportation Services in assessing and planning equipment and staff needs, present and future budget requirements and other pertinent managerial responsibilities.
- Manages the Garage Operations budget; reviews and verifies payroll for employees within Garage Operations, including the authorization and use of overtime.
- Leads the recruitment, screening, and provides initial and on-going training of bus drivers and bus garage personnel.
- Directs the development, preparation, and review of records and reports of pupils transported, mileage, operating expenses and similar statistics, where applicable.
- Directs the development, preparation and review of records and reports of vehicle conditions, maintenance, preventive maintenance, performance and similar statistics where applicable.
- Develops and recommends departmental policies, methods and procedures, and enforces same; prepares items for the Board of Education for approval when required.
- Serves as Chairperson of the Accident Review Board (ARB) and meets on a monthly basis to discuss all accidents to determine if an accident was preventable or non-preventable.
- Coordinates and works through the Fleet Manager to assure that vehicles are available for preventive maintenance and other scheduled maintenance; works through the Fleet Manager to maintain the fleet and provide a sufficient number of vehicles for transportation needs.
- Coordinates and works through operating supervisors to assure that drivers are effectively dispatched to assigned routes and that routes are executed safely and on time, and resource utilization is optimized.
- Recommends department organizational improvements to the General Manager of Transportation Services.
- Assists in the equitable solution of complaints, concerns, and problems in the areas of responsibility.
- Holds disciplinary hearings with employees as required.
- Maintains and manages all databases relating to transportation functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Director, Garage Operations
||The School District of Philadelphia
|Posting Start Date:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in business administration, management or a related field.
- Five years of full-time, paid, professional documented progressive experience in transportation operations of a large school district, bus transportation or a municipal transit department, two of which have been in a supervisory capacity.
- Valid Driver's License and a Motor vehicle record that meets driving privileges standards.
- Any equivalent combination of training and experience determined to be acceptable by the Office of Talent.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Demonstrated knowledge of:
- modern management principles and practices as they relate to operating a large bus and truck transportation service.
- method and techniques used in scheduling, planning administrative procedures, and record systems used providing optimum transportation service.
- school bus routing automation principles and practices.
- method and techniques used in fleet management, fleet maintenance and garage management scheduling including: standard maintenance, inspections, preventive maintenance, and fleet planning.
- methods and techniques for creating and managing a safety program within the bus and garage operations.
- industry standards in transportation safety, routing, personnel training and management, and transportation garage operations.
Demonstrated ability to:
- develop creative services and cost-effective solutions and develop a culture of responsive and responsible teams.
- monitor budget allocations, expenditures, fund balances and related financial activities for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate, revenues are recorded, expenses are within budget limits and/or fiscal practices are followed.
- utilize data to evaluate garage performance and develop plans and strategies to improve and deliver on key metrics
- respond to a variety of inquiries (e.g. from parents, school administrators, district department heads, patrons, etc) for the purpose of identifying the relevant issues and recommending or implementing a plan of action that will efficiently resolve the issue.
- plan and direct a large transportation operation and to obtain effective results.
- analyze and evaluate methods and techniques used in the work and make sound recommendations.
- prepare comprehensive reports and present findings and conclusions clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- develop long and short range plans in relation to assigned administrative responsibilities (e.g. policies, procedures, expense reduction, safety improvement) for the purpose of ensuring organizational objectives are achieved in the most efficient and timely manner.
- use a personal computer to develop presentations, documents, spreadsheets and analyses.
- establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The School District of Philadelphia provides to all persons equal access to all categories of employment in this district, regardless of race, color, age, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin or handicap/disability, gender identity, or genetic information. Please refer to Board Policy 104 for further information regarding the District's commitment to Nondiscrimination in Employment Practices.
Possession of a valid proper class motor vehicle operator's license issued by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania prior to and during tenure of appointment.
||This listing expires on: 12/5/2020