In accordance with Article VI of the PASBO Bylaws and Policy 200 (Election Policy), the annual election of PASBO Directors and the Vice-President will be conducted during the PASBO Annual Conference, from March 14-17, 2023, at Kalahari Resorts and Conventions in Pocono Manor, PA.
The 2023 election will be different from those in the past, as we will have an additional position on the ballot. In addition to the election of Directors and Vice-President, PASBO will also conduct an election for an immediate Vice-President—someone who will fill the vacant Vice-President position beginning at the conclusion of the election in March 2023; this individual will progress to the position of President Elect on July 1, 2023.
PASBO members who desire to seek election as Director, Vice-President, or to fill the vacant immediate Vice-President position, should send the following information to Brent Kessler, PCSBA, chair of the PASBO Nominations and Elections Committee:
- a letter of intent to be a candidate for the PASBO board of directors in 2023
- a current resume
- a current picture
- a signed copy of the Election Rules
Eligibility for the position of Director: This is a three-year term, beginning July 1, 2023. To become and remain in term as an elected Director, an individual: (1) shall be an active member or be a life member who also meets the qualifications to be an active member, (2) shall have maintained either such membership status continuously during the five years prior to the elected term, (3) shall comply with the rules and regulations as prescribed by the Board of Directors. There shall be no more than two directors elected or appointed from the same intermediate unit boundary serving on the Board at any one time.
Eligibility for the position of Vice-President (2023-24): The term of the Vice President begins on July 1, 2023, and the successful candidate will continue through the officer chairs in the subsequent fiscal years. To be elected to the office of Vice-President and to remain in term, an individual: (1) shall have previously served as a director on the board and (2) shall be an active member or a life member who also meets the qualifications to be an active member, and (3) shall comply with the rules and regulations as prescribed by the Board of Directors.
Eligibility for the position of immediate Vice President (2022-23): The term of the immediate Vice-President begins following the conclusion of the election in March 2023. The successful candidate will assume the role of President Elect on July 1, 2023 and will continue through the officer chairs in the subsequent fiscal years. To be elected to the office of immediate Vice President and to remain in term, an individual: (1) shall have previously served as a director on the board and (2) shall be an active member or a life member who also meets the qualifications to be an active member, and (3) shall comply with the rules and regulations as prescribed by the Board of Directors.
Deadline: A letter of intent, resume and picture must be submitted to the chair of the Nominations and Elections Committee by December 31, 2022.
All documents should be mailed or emailed to:
Brent Kessler, PCSBA
Lincoln IU #12
Director of Finance and Business Services
65 Billerbeck Street
New Oxford, PA 17350
The following rules have been adopted by the PASBO Board of Directors and shall govern the 2023 election:
1 A copy of the Election Rules is posted and available to all candidates. One copy shall be returned to the Chairperson of the Nominations and Elections Committee on or before December 31 along with a letter of intent and resume.
2. Information regarding each candidate that submitted his or her letter of intent to stand for election will be published in the February 2023 issue of PASBO Report. No other information shall be published or distributed by the candidate.
3. Candidates will have access to the PASBO board member job description, the PASBO board guiding principles, and the PASBO core values. All candidates will be expected to adhere to those standards throughout the election.
4. Distribution of information about a candidate is restricted to that prepared and circulated by the PASBO Nominations and Elections Committee.
5. Badges and stickers promoting a candidate are not permitted.
6. Hospitality rooms may not be used to support a candidate.
7. Exhibitors may not display or distribute information on candidates in exhibit booths, hospitality rooms, or any other location during or prior to the conference.
8. A candidate may communicate to individual PASBO members in support of herself or himself by telephone or email provided that no expenditure is made by or for the candidate in producing or distributing the communication.
9. A PASBO member other than a candidate may communicate to individual PASBO members in support of a candidate by telephone or email provided that no expenditure is made by or for the member in producing the or distributing the communication. The PASBO member shall be required to obtain the written approval (by either email or first-class mail) of the candidate for the communication in advance of the communication. No communication shall be made on behalf of a candidate until written approval is received.
10. Candidates and PASBO members shall not use PASBOlink for any campaign-related messages or communication.
11. A candidate may attend Regional Chapter meetings in-person to announce that he or she is a candidate.
12. Candidates shall not defame or disparage any PASBO member, the association, or staff in any communications.
13. Candidates shall be prohibited from speaking or moderating professional development programs after the candidate is certified by the Nominations and Elections Committee and through the close of the election. Exceptions will be made for candidates that have committed, prior to becoming a candidate, to teach an Elements course or a Wilkes SBL program course. A PASBO member other than a candidate shall be prohibited from making endorsements or campaign-related announcements as part of his or her role to speak at or moderate a professional development program after candidates are certified by the Nominations and Elections Committee and through the close of the election.
14. Candidates will be provided with a dedicated space and time at the PASBO Annual Conference for them to use to introduce themselves to PASBO members and to campaign for election. All candidate-driven introductions and campaigning must occur within this designated space.
If you have questions about these rules, please contact Brent Kessler at email@example.com, Chair, PASBO Nominations and Elections Committee.