Welcome to the 2019-20 legislative session and PASBO's Daily Data series.
What is Daily Data?
We are delivering bite-sized data on K-12 public education school fiance with new topics and aspects of a topic every day. Our archive here on our website will serve as a reference cetner for our detailed information, data and statistics to help anyone understand the mechanics, dynamics, challenges and needs of K-12 public education in Pennsylvania and in individual school districts.
PASBO Daily Data will highlight a wide range of topics in school finance and school business operations. We started off basic and are working through a new aspect of a topic each day, such as special education, pupil transportation, state funding, property tax and so much more!
To learn how to use our data maps, watch our video tutorial here.
Basics of School Finance
Basic Education Funding
- January 15 - What is basic education funding?
- January 16 - How is basic education funding distributed?
- January 17 - What are the student-weighted factors in the BEF formula?
- January 18 - What are 3-year average ADMs?
- January 21 - What are the poverty weights?
- January 22 - How is moderate poverty calculated?
- January 23 - How is acute poverty calculated?
- January 24 - How is concentrated poverty calculated?
- January 25 - Putting the poverty weights together.
- January 28 - What is the English language learner component?
- January 29 - What is the charter school component?
- January 30 - What is the sparsity size adjustment?
- January 31 - What is Weighted Student Count?
- February 1 - What are some highlights from the 2019 PASBO/PASA School District Budget Report?
- February 4 - What is the fiscal forecast for Pennsylvania's 500 School Districts?
- February 5 - What are the formula "multipliers" in the BEF formula?
- Special Edition - What is the BEF formula dollar increase in the Governor's proposed budget for 2019-20?
- February 6 - What is median household income?
- February 7 - What is local effort capacity index?
- February 8 - What is adjusted weighted student count and the "share" concept?
Special Education Funding
Introduction to School District Expenditures and Mandated Costs
- February 19 - What is the Adjusted Weighted Student Count and the “share” concept?
- February 21 - What are the types of school district expenditures?
- February 22 - What costs drive school district spending?
- February 25 - How have mandated costs impacted school district expenditures?
- February 26 - How do mandated costs impact school district local revenues?
Introduction to Property Taxes and Assessed Value
- February 27 - What are local revenues?
- February 28 - What are property taxes?
- March 1 - What impact have mandated costs had on property taxes?
- March 4 - What is assessed value and market value?
- March 5 - What is assessed value by type of land use?
- March 6 - How has assessed value changed over time?
- March 7 - What are homesteads and median assessed value?
Property Taxes - Act 1 Limitations and Tax Relief
- March 11 - What is Act 1 and how does it relate to property taxes?
- March 12 - What effect has Act 1 had on property taxes?
- March 13 - What is board authority and what is the impact of Act 1?
- March 14 - What are the Act 1 referendum exceptions for mandated costs?
- March 15 - Which mandated costs have Act 1 referendum exceptions?
- March 19 - What property tax relief is currently provided?
- March 20 - What was the local income tax referendum option for property tax relief?
- March 22 - What are county real estate reassessments?
Introduction to Charter School Tuition
- April 1 - What are charter schools, and how many students attend?
- April 2 - How are charter schools funded?
- April 3 - How is the charter school special education tuition rate calculated?
- April 4 - How have charter school tuition costs grown?
- April 5 - What impact do charter school tuition costs have on property taxes?
Impact of Charter School Tuition
- April 9 - How do tuition rates vary across school districts?
- April 10 - How do districts and charters compare in their costs per student?
- April 11 - How do charter school tuition costs compare to Basic Education Funding?
- April 12 - What is charter school enrollment by school district?
- April 16 - How does charter school tuition compare to property taxes?