Basic Education Funding
In June 2015, the Basic Education Funding Commission unanimously recommended a new basic education funding (BEF) formula for the distribution of new BEF dollars. The new formula was codified in Act 25 of 2016 and was used to drive out the $150 million increase in BEF for 2015-16 and the $200 million increase in 2016-17. Using 2014-15 as a base year and holding all districts harmless at those funding levels, going forward all school districts will get a share of the BEF above the base year as determined by their student population and other school district demographic factors.
The proposed formula begins with a student count, includes weights for students living in poverty, English Language Learners and charter school students, provides an adjustments for small, rural school districts, a local wealth adjustment and a local tax effort and capacity adjustment.
- View the PDE spreadsheet showing the 2016-17 distribution of new BEF through the new formula
- View a summary of the Basic Education Funding Commission's Recommended formula
- Read the Basic Education Funding Commission's Executive Summary
- Read PASBO's response to the Commission's recommendations
- View PASBO Presentation on Commission Recommended Formula - 6/19/2015
- View Recording of PASBO Web Forum on BEFC Formula -6/22/2015
The Commission, which was co-chaired by Sen. Patrick Browne and Rep. Mike Vereb, consisted of 12 legislators and 3 administration officials, and was tasked with making recommendations on the development of a new basic education funding formula and identifying the factors that should be used to determine the distribution of basic education funding to school districts.
The Commission held hearings across the state, taking testimony from stakeholders on all aspects of education funding.
- Read PASBO Benchmarking Committee Testimony to BEFC--November 24, 2014
- Read PASBO Benchmarking Committee Presentation to BEFC--November 24, 2014
- Read PASBO/PASA Testimony to BEFC--August 20, 2014
- Read the Commission's press release -July 24, 2015
- Basic Education Funding Commission Website (View recordings of all Commission hearings)
- View Fundamentals of Basic Education Funding Video-12/15/14
- Read the PASBO letter to the Senate -6/2/14
- Read the PASBO, PASA, PARSS, PSBA and Central PA Education Coalition joint letter -4/7/14
- Read the PASBO letter to the House -12/11/13